September 19, 2011

i don't know how to sleep


it's strange, the ways in which i do not sleep. i've been off ambien for close to a month, and my body can't seem to recall how to sleep.

here's what happens:

9pm- go to bed

10pm- fall asleep

1am- wake up

(here's where i try to follow the rules about not turning lights on, no tv, etc...)

1:30am- wide awake

(here's where the pain and itchy skin feelings start)

2:00am- tv on. hoarders, cnn, bra infomercials

3:00am- skin feels like bugs crawling underneath, zaps and tingles

3:30am- stomach ache and IBS kicks in

4:00am- try to lay down and sleep again

5:00am- start to fall back asleep

6:00am- alarm goes off

(sinking feeling kicks in)

i've tried to use CBT tools to help me get the insomnia under control. i practice relaxation techniques and all kinds of positive "self talk".

i follow all of the "sleep hygiene" rules as well. lights are off, no music, no iPad in bed, etc...

we finally took the plunge to go from a queen to a king sized bed, and i got the tempur-pedic "cloud" bed i've wanted. i'm hoping this helps. the bed is highly recommended for people with chronic pain disorders like fibromyalgia.

i guess i need to just give it time. not sleeping won't kill me. it sucks, but it could be worse.

2 comments:

twinkly sparkles said...

Hey, I've peeked in on your blog, via Erin O'Brien. I enjoy your sense of things--food, humor, pets, photos....

I've never gone on any prescription meds for my insomnia, but I do find relief sometimes in TCM (traditional Chinese medicine), especially acupuncture. It's worth a try if you haven't.

Lately, when I'm desperate, I use a half or whole night-time inbuprofin, but it's not good for the 3-4 am waking---gotta get back up at 6:30. I haven't tried melatonin or tryptophan.

Okay, glittergirl, I'm gonna link to a poem of mine about my insomnia. I know there aren't any answers in there, but just letting you know you are not alone....

http://twinklysparkles.wordpress.com/2011/07/19/poetry-jam-vi-2/

Good luck. I am finding some relief at odd times in my peri-menopausal state. Sometimes it makes it worse, sometimes better. I think you are much younger than I am so that probably doesn't apply.

Good luck and best wishes for good peaceful nights of rest! twinkly

Jay Keshe said...

Can't sleep?

I consider it a personal defect. You have something seriously wrong with you. Repent or something.